Brompton unveiled their electric bike at the 2017 World Championships in London. When will it come to the USA and what to expect.
The Brompton Electric is designed to change cities; it has smart features, a sleek design and is simple to use. The bike has 4 modes, ranging from no assistance (the bike rides smoothly without the battery) through to a high level of assistance, perfect if you want to arrive fresh to a meeting or are climbing a large hill. The key features and full specification details are in the table below, which lays out all the technical information about the bike. We can expect to see the bike here in the US market sometime before the summer 2018 season.
- Custom-developed 250W front hub motor giving an extremely high performance-to-weight output.
- Bike still folds to the same size as a non-electric Brompton.
- To aid portability, the battery can be carried separately, integrating neatly into a shoulder bag.
- Battery features intuitive user interface and USB charging port for mobile devices
- All Brompton Electric bikes come with the standard battery bag (1.5L), however, there is an additional option to buy a commuter bag (20L), which can store your larger items, e.g. a laptop
- Smooth pedal-assisted ride thanks to the smart, integrated torque and cadence sensors
- Bike weight is about 31 lbs. Battery weight is just under 5 lbs.
- Max motor assisted speed - 15.5mph (25kph) (This may change for US market)
|Wheel size||16" (349mm)|
|Folded dimensions||585mm high x 565mm long x 270mm wide (23" x 22.2" x 10.6").|
|Handlebar type||M type (1015mm)|
|Rear frame||L type (mudguard)|
|Colours||Gloss black or Gloss white|
|Gears||2-speed or 6-speed|
|Weight bike without battery||
|Weight battery + small bag||2.9kg|
|Lights||20 Lux Busch & Müller LYT|
|Max. load||107kg (incl. luggage)|
|Brakes||Dual pivot brakes|
|Small bag (included)||1.5 litres|
|Large bag (optional accessory)||20 litres - additional $176.02|
|Standard charger (included)||2A charger (80% charge in 3-3.5 hours, 100% in 4-5 hours)|
|Fast charger (optional accessory)||4A charger (80% charge in 1.5-2 hours, 100% in 2.5-3 hours) - additional $155.71|
|Range||25-50 miles / 40-80km (dependent on rider and environmental factors)|
|USB port to charge portable devices||5V 1.5A|
|Integrated HMI||LED display|
|Assistance modes||4 (0-1-2-3)|
|Sensors||Contactless bottom bracket torque and cadence sensor|
|Type||Brushless DC front motor|
|Nominal output power||250W|
|Cut off speed||15.5mph / 25kmh|
|Freewheel||Very low resistance when riding without assistance|
|Warranty on electrical parts||2 years|
Battery: UN38.3, EN62133